Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do you do?

We are a private non-profit 501(C)(3) corporation with the purpose of alleviating poverty in Harlan County, Kentucky. We want to turn hope into reality and make Harlan County's low-income residents more self-sufficient. We gives a voice to the less fortunate and provides services whether in-house or by our community partners. We provide a multitude of various programs to assist low-income individuals and families to achieve and sustain self-sufficiency and a sense of well-being in the community. Our programs help to provide better everyday living for persons in the service area. Our agency is needed for transportation, utility and security deposits assistance, medicine, child care, youth services, college tuition, weatherization assistance, homeless assistance, etc.

Q: Why do you do it?

We want to utilize all available resources to assist eligible individuals and families to acquire useful skills and knowledge, gain access to new opportunities, and achieve economic self-sufficiency, empowering them to become more effective partners of society, therefore creating a better community. We are expanding our current services offered and foster new and innovative ideas and programs to meet our changing community needs to help ensure that our customers become independent and maintain a state of self-sufficiency so that they may become an asset in the community.

Q: How did Harlan County CAA start?

Harlan County Community Action Agency, Inc. has had a wonderful history since 1969, and since then many residents both young and old have turned to Harlan County CAA for assistance. Some of the services that we continue to provide have been the foundation of Community Action Agencies existence. You can learn more about our history by going to the "Our History" page.

Q: I need assistance. What services can I receive?

Each of our programs uniquely have different qualification guidelines and standards based on the different funding sources. If you have a particular need you need addressed immediately, you can call on of the numbers on the "Contact Us" page and ask to speak to the person in that area. If you have multiple needs, you can call one of the CSBG case workers and they can perform a needs assessment and refer you to directly or indirectly to the appropriate source.

Q: I want to help! How can I help?

We thank you so much for your interest in helping us out to improve the lives of Harlan County, Kentucky. To learn more about how you can help us out by donating or volunteering, please click on the "Get Involved" page. There are countless ways you can help us out. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us as well by clicking on the "Contact Us" page.