Harlan County Community Action Agency is sponsoring a Summer Food Service Program. The SFSP was established to ensure that low income children continue to receive meals when school is not in session.
Children 18 and under can receive meals through the SFSP at various sites, which are the actual locations where the meals are served and children eat in a supervised setting.
The schedule includes:
- Kildav Community Outreach (329 Kildav Loop, Evarts) — June 1-July 31 (Monday through Friday), from 1-3 p.m.
- Loyall Church of God (202 Bailey Street, Loyall) — June 1 –Aug. 2 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from noon to 1 p.m.; Wednesdays from 7-7:30 p.m.; and Sundays from noon to 12:30 p.m.
- Community of Smith (10962 Hwy. 987 Smith) — June 2- July 28 (Tuesday only) from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Closplint Church of God (100 Black Bottom Road, Closplint) — June 3-Aug. 2. Breakfast from 10-10:30 p.m. Sundays, and dinner from 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays.
- House of Mercy (898 Hwy. 219, Wallins) — June 3-Aug 2. Breakfast from 10-10:30 a.m. Sundays; dinner from 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays.
- Turner Baptist Church (25 Ky. Branch Road, Evarts) — June 3-Aug. 2. Wednesdays from 7-7:30 p.m.; and Sundays from 10-10:30 a.m. and 7-7:30 p.m.
- Sunny Acres First Church of God (20 Acre Lane, Harlan) — June 4-Aug. 2. Sunday breakfast from 11:15-11:45 a.m., and Thursday dinner from 6:30-7 p.m.
- Clover Street Church of Christ (508 East Clover Street, Harlan) — June 7-Aug. 2. Sundays from 10:30-11:30 a.m., and Vacation Bible School (July 20-24) from noon to 1 p.m.
- Cumberland Elementary School (322 Golf Course Road, Cumberland) — July 13-16. Breakfast from 8:30-9 a.m., and lunch from noon to 12:30 p.m.
- Boys & Girls Club (1 Positive Place, Harlan) — June 8-July 24 (Monday-Friday), noon to 1 p.m.
- Immanuel Baptist Church (550 Upper Elcomb Drive, Elcomb) — June 10-Aug. 2. Wednesdays from 7:20-7:55 p.m., and Sundays from 10:15-10:55 a.m.
- Holy Trinity (2536 U.S. Hwy. 421, Harlan) — July 13-17, Monday-Friday, from 11:30 a.m. to noon.
- Harlan County High School TI-STEM (4000 Hwy. 119, Baxter) — July 13-17 (Monday-Friday). Breakfast from 9:30-10 a.m. and lunch from noon to 12:30 p.m.
- HCHS Band (4000 Hwy. 119, Baxter) — July 13-17 and July 20-31 from noon to 1 p.m.
Eligible sites are those that serve children in low income areas or specific groups of low income children. This program is of no cost to sponsored site. Churches that host Vacation Bible School or Sunday School, or other school organizations with children age 18 and under are encouraged to participate.
For more information regarding the Summer Food Service Program, contact Mistie Sanders at Harlan County CAA at 606-573-5335 ext. 233.